Monday, January 26, 2009

Submissions Advice

http://editorialanonymous.blogspot.com/

I think I've referenced this excellent blog by a children's book editor before. Two recent articles of universal writer interest regarding submissions.

Today's Easy Question
Can you send in a handwritten submission? Her response is absolutely in line with our experience at ECPI - only children and incarcerated felons do this. Yep, we do get subs from prisoners, handwritten in pencil on lined paper, due to their restricted access to computers.

I Don't Know Why I Love You Like I Do
Even multipublished authors get rejections of new proposals from their existing publisher. No matter how great the writer overall, not everything they produce is great.

1 comment:

Barbara Elsborg said...

I'm sure that some of these big name authors are told no on occasion. Some of them aren't told no often enough. I am an avid reader of multiple genres and I see authors go off the boil - yet someone has still said yes and published the book. I honestly think that a publisher would have to think very hard before saying no to one of the big names. They sell even if the book is not up to standard. People buy on author name.